Prep 20 mins
Cook 504 hrs
If you are looking for a tasty homemade gift, a lower-cost version of the brand-name liqueur or just a fun cooking project, try making your own Kahlua at home. This easy to follow recipe produces a rich, velvety coffee-flavored elixir that is the main ingredient of drinks such as White Russians, Mudslides and Chunky Monkeys. Kahlua is also a delicious "on the rocks" drink, whether straight over ice or topped off with a little half-and-half cream. (From ehow.com)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup instant coffee
- 1 3⁄4 liters high quality vodka
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 whole vanilla bean
- Combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar and water in a small sauce pan. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the coffee. Allow to cool completely.
- Pour into a large plastic container with a lid. Add the vodka, vanilla flavoring and vanilla bean.
- Cover and let stand for two to three weeks or until fully aged. Kahlua, when properly stored, can last safely for up to a few years.
10 stars for sure! This was a very very good, cheaper substitute for the more expensive authentic Kahlua coffee liqueur. Tested as a single shot, the adults in my family knew the real versus the homemade (most likely because the homemade was just a smidgeon less smooth than the real Kahlua....but apparently not enough to matter, because everyone asked for more!) But when tasting the various cocktails, my family was all over the page regarding which cocktails had the real and which had the homemade Kahlua. I left it to age 2 weeks exactly, and that seemed just right. Thanks for posting such a wonderful recipe, Motivated Mama. It's a definite "keeper". Tagged for the New Kids On The Block tag game, Jan 2009.
Wow! This tastes exactly like "real" kahlua!! I used Smirnoff vodka, and 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (I couldn't get whole vanilla beans). It still has to age for 2 weeks, but it already tastes amazing! I'll come back and let you know what I think again after the two weeks are up! I'll definaly be making this again!!