Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Try this great homemade jambalaya recipe for a Cajun tailgate feast.
Make and share this Homemade Jambalaya recipe from Food.com.
- Slice sausage 1/4" thick.
- Cut pork into 1" cubes. Don't cut too small or the pork will fall apart.
- Cut onions, peppers, celery and garlic; again, not too small.
- In a large heavy pot (around 20 qt), preferably cast iron, heat oil on med/high temp.
- Brown sausage and remove; set aside, leaving grease in pot.
- Add pork and brown.
- Return sausage to pot and lower heat level to medium.
- Add onions, celery, peppers, garlic and green onion and stir well.
- Cover pot and cook, stirring occasionally until celery and onions are clear in color. (approx. 30 min).
- Add salt, black pepper, lemon pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. A good measurement is to sprinkle a light layer of each across the pot. You can always add more seasoning later if it's not enough.
- Add both cans of tomatoes; set one can aside to measure water and rice later.
- Use tomato can to fill pot with water. Fill until water level is 1" above meat. Count the number of cans of water and tomatoes you used; this is an important measurement for the amount of rice you will need later. Save one can for measuring rice.
- Bring back to a medium boil, reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for approximately 1 hour, gently folding meat & seasonings periodically.
- During this step, you can measure your rice. Using a tomato can, measure and set aside twice as much rice as the amount of water and tomatoes added earlier; for example, if you used 8 cans of water and 2 cans of tomatoes, you need 20 cans of rice. Set aside the rice until later.
- Check taste for additional seasonings. Keep in mind, the rice is going to soak up the majority of the seasoning, so you may want to make it a little on the strong side.
- You can skim some of the grease off the top of the jambalaya.
- Turn heat up to high and bring to a rolling boil, add rice and stir until pot returns to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let sit 5-10 minutes, fluff with spoon, serve, eat and ENJOY!