Served between your favorite bakery cookies, the easy ice cream in this recipe makes an irresistible dessert.
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml cornstarch
- 14.79 ml butter, melted
- 118.29 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 158.51 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 236.59 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 semi-sweet chocolate baking square, melted
- 18 chocolate chip cookies or 18 sugar cookies
- miniature semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles or chopped unsalted peanuts (optional) or flaked coconut (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and butter; stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool completely. Stir in condensed milk.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into milk mixture. Divide between two freezer containers. Stir melted chocolate into one container until well blended. Cover and freeze both mixtures for 6 hours or until firm.
- To assemble, place 1/3 cup of ice cream on the bottom of a cookie. Top with another cookie; press down gently. If desired, roll sides of ice cream sandwich in chocolate chips, jimmies, peanuts or coconut. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat. Freeze until serving.