Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Served between your favorite bakery cookies, the easy ice cream in this recipe makes an irresistible dessert.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 semi-sweet chocolate baking square, melted
- 18 chocolate chip cookies or 18 sugar cookies
- miniature semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate sprinkles or chopped unsalted peanuts (optional) or flaked coconut (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and butter; stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool completely. Stir in condensed milk.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into milk mixture. Divide between two freezer containers. Stir melted chocolate into one container until well blended. Cover and freeze both mixtures for 6 hours or until firm.
- To assemble, place 1/3 cup of ice cream on the bottom of a cookie. Top with another cookie; press down gently. If desired, roll sides of ice cream sandwich in chocolate chips, jimmies, peanuts or coconut. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat. Freeze until serving.
This was a delicious recipe! Very easy to make and really good to eat on a 100 or more degree day.