Elaine Kirk's Note:
I have LOVED Home Made Ice Cream every since I was a small child. We had it very frequently in the hot summers of in the state of Iowa, USA. We received a hand crank gallon ice cream freezer for a wedding gift 43 years ago. I tried several recipes that were OK but not exactly to my liking. I experimented & finally came up with a recipe I really liked. In 1989 I entered my Home Made Ice Cream in the Clark County Dairy Wives Recipe Contest at the Clark County Fair near Vancouver, Washington USA. I served the two judges my ice cream and talked dairy products a few minutes. I was shocked to win First place for my recipe. We always have this ice cream in our home freezer. My favorite is just plain Vanilla. You can add fruits or fruit syrups to add flavors to your liking. Nuts can also be added.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat 6 eggs until thick using an electric mixer Gradually beat in 2 cups sugar.
- 2Beat on HIGH for AT LEAST 5 MINUTES-- don't cheat on the time.
- 3Stir in 1 quart of whipping cream and 2 tablespoons vanilla (use 1 pint cream for a less rich ice cream).
- 4Pour mixture into the pail.
- 5Add milk up to the fill line on the pail, about 1 1/2 inches from the top of the pail.
- 6Add paddle to the pail and put the lid on.
- 7Attach the handle piece and lock into place.
- 8Pack with ice and salt at the ratio of 8 parts ice to 1 part salt.
- 9You need quite a bit of ice to freeze well.
- 10Crank or freeze in an electric freezer until frozen.
- 11Remove from freezer and store in covered plastic containers.
- 12for 1 1/2 gallons use: 9 eggs, 3 cups sugar, 3 Tablespoons vanilla and 1 quart and 1 pint of whipping cream.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Ice Cream
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 35
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.8
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 73.5 mg
- Sodium 22.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 1.6 g