1/1 Photo of Homemade Hot Rolls
H. Cato's Note:
We have a small close-knit community, so when someone dies, the women get together and prepare dinner for the family. I had taken food to one of these dinners, and helped served. I was lucky enough to get in line before the hot rolls were all gone. They were DELICIOUS! I asked who made them, and found out it was a woman by the name of Alice Ash. I asked her for the recipe, but she didn't have the recipe with her. A few days later, I received the recipe from my mom, who'd gotten it from her neighbor. Alice had given it to the neighbor, to give to my mom, to give to me! That's small town networking!
My Private Note
Or one ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- 2Stir sugar, salt, and half of the flour into the yeast mixture.
- 3Beat in the eggs and shortening.
- 4Add the remaining flour and beat until smooth.
- 5Scrape down the sides of bowl, and cover with a cloth, and let rise in a warm place, until doubled in bulk (approx. 30 minutes).
- 6Stir down the dough.
- 7Add more sifted flour until it can be worked with hands (just add gradually until it feels right).
- 8Knead a few times, not a lot; just get it worked in and ready to pinch off into rolls.
- 9Pinch the rolls off (medium sized), and place in a greased pan.
- 10It may take two pans; one small, and one larger, for all the dough.
- 11You can also make loaves of bread out of it.
- 12Allow it to rise again, until doubled in bulk.
- 13Bake at 375-400 for 15-20 minutes .
- 14When done, brush with butter (while hot).
- 15Note: You can also use this recipe to make bread loaves (it should make 2 loaves in traditional bread pans), or cinnamon rolls.
- 16For the cinnamon rolls, roll the dough out, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and roll up like a jelly roll.
- 17Slice off, place in a baking pan, and bake at the same temperature as the rolls, until done.
- 18Coat with frosting made with powdered sugar, milk, and a dash of vanilla.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Hot Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.1
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 200.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 3.1 g