Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 30 mins
preparation time does not include 2 total hours of rising time
Make and share this Homemade Hot Dog Buns recipe from Food.com.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar, yeast and warm water. Stir to dissolve and let set until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Add in milk, vegetable oil and salt.
- With the mixer on a low speed with the dough hook attached, gradually add the flour.
- Once 3 cups have been incorporated, add the remaining flour a tablespoon at a time until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 2-4 minutes, until smooth and supple. The dough should be soft, but not sticky.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubled, 1-1 1/2 hours.
- Gently remove the dough from its bowl onto a floured surface. Divide it into 9 equal pieces.
- Shape into rolls. You want them to be the proportions of a fat cigar (slightly larger though) -- don't worry, they will expand when baking.
- Place hot dog buns on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with a dishtowel. Let them rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush buns with egg white and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove to a rack to cool before slicing.