Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I haven't tried this but it came with a gift set I got from a friend from Penzey's spices for my wedding. I can't wait till it gets cool--I will definitely be trying it ASAP then! I'm sure you could add some peppermint schapps to this to make it even more holiday-friendly.
- 4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 -3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 dash pure vanilla extract
- 4 cinnamon sticks, for stirring (optional)
- mini marshmallows (optional)
- Combine milk, sugar, cocoa, and vanilla in saucepan.
- Whisk or stir quickly to dissolve cocoa into milk.
- Warm over med-low heat till steaming, stirring frequently.
- Pour into mugs, top with mini-marshmallows, and use cinnamon sticks to stir.
This recipe is FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing. My son and I are lactose intolerant so I substituted Almond milk for the regular milk and I don't like my kids to have too much sugar so, I substituted Stevia for the sugar. Topped with marshmallows and stuck a candy cane in to stir to give a mint flavor for the holiday season. Don't think I will be wasting money on boxed ever again. Thanks again!
I ran out of the "boxed" hot cocoa mix and felt like some hot cocoa, so I came on here to see if I could find a good recipe since I always have cocoa powder on hand, and boy am I glad I found this one. I'll never buy premade hot cocoa again after making this. It's so easy and everything listed I always have on hand.
Thank you for the great recipe. We started decorating the Christmas tree and realized we did not have any hot cocoa (a family tradition). I quickly went to recipezaar and found this recipe. I used 6 tablespoon sugar to 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Just Right!!