Recipe by MDMama
I started making this to use in my daughter's chocolate milk, since I am not a fan of HFCS, and a teeny bottle of organic chocolate syrup was over $4. I double the batch and store in a 32 oz rubbermaid "chug" bottle. You can store this in the fridge in any CLEAN container with a spout for several months.
Top Review by Chef Laurachingo
If only I could give this recipe 10 stars I would this is very good and very easy. BTW if you think it is to thin just boil a little longer like 1 to 2 minutes and it will be thicker. Thank You for positing this great recipe
- 118.29 ml packed cocoa powder (I use organic)
- 236.59 ml milk
- 473.18 ml sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
- 0.59 ml salt (I use kosher salt)
- 1.23 ml vanilla extract (I use organic)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk cocoa powder and milk together thoroughly in a large saucepan.
- Heat and whisk to dissolve the cocoa. (I use medium-low heat).
- Add the sugar and stir/whisk to dissolve. Be sure the sugar has dissolved before continuing on, so your syrup is not grainy.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Be sure to watch this VERY carefully. Mine has a tendency to want to boil over immediately, so I have to continuously take it on and off of the burner.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla extract.
- Let cool completely and skim off any skin that may have formed.
- Pour into a clean/sterile jar with a spout and store covered in the refrigerator.