I started making this to use in my daughter's chocolate milk, since I am not a fan of HFCS, and a teeny bottle of organic chocolate syrup was over $4. I double the batch and store in a 32 oz rubbermaid "chug" bottle. You can store this in the fridge in any CLEAN container with a spout for several months.
- Whisk cocoa powder and water together thoroughly in a large saucepan.
- Heat and whisk to dissolve the cocoa. (I use medium-low heat).
- Add the sugar and stir/whisk to dissolve. Be sure the sugar has dissolved before continuing on, so your syrup is not grainy.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Be sure to watch this VERY carefully. Mine has a tendency to want to boil over immediately, so I have to continuously take it on and off of the burner.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla extract.
- Let cool completely and skim off any skin that may have formed.
- Pour into a clean/sterile jar with a spout and store covered in the refrigerator.