Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I started making this to use in my daughter's chocolate milk, since I am not a fan of HFCS, and a teeny bottle of organic chocolate syrup was over $4. I double the batch and store in a 32 oz rubbermaid "chug" bottle. You can store this in the fridge in any CLEAN container with a spout for several months.
- 1⁄2 cup packed cocoa powder (I use organic)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (I use kosher salt)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use organic)
- Whisk cocoa powder and milk together thoroughly in a large saucepan.
- Heat and whisk to dissolve the cocoa. (I use medium-low heat).
- Add the sugar and stir/whisk to dissolve. Be sure the sugar has dissolved before continuing on, so your syrup is not grainy.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Be sure to watch this VERY carefully. Mine has a tendency to want to boil over immediately, so I have to continuously take it on and off of the burner.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla extract.
- Let cool completely and skim off any skin that may have formed.
- Pour into a clean/sterile jar with a spout and store covered in the refrigerator.
If only I could give this recipe 10 stars I would this is very good and very easy. BTW if you think it is to thin just boil a little longer like 1 to 2 minutes and it will be thicker. Thank You for positing this great recipe
This chocolate syrup recipe is the better of the two found on this site. It is a perfect imitation of Hershey's syrup and costs about .85 - .99 cents per bottle equivalent, vs. over $2.00 for the real thing in the local store. If you get your sugar in bulk and make vanilla extract from scratch it is even cheaper. Make sure you let it boil to get rid of any "powder" taste.
I was very pleased with this recipe! Thank you so much! I would like to try adding peppermint extract next time, and use it to make chocolate peppermint coffee creamer. (I hate the thought of all the artificial stuff they add to the store-bought versions!) Thanks again!