Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Sick of craving hashbrowns and finding that all the frozen ones in the supermarket have tallow in them? Make this recipe. It's simple AND it's good. A good reason not to bother with the bought version.
- 6 medium potatoes, coarsely grated
- 1 small onion, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley (optional) or anchovy (optional)
- olive oil (for frying)
- Put the potatoes and onion in a cloth and wring out the moisture.
- Lightly mix in the rest of the ingredients.
- Use a heavy bottomed frying pan for cooking the potato mix.
- When oil is hot put in tablespoons of mixture, pressing down a little for more contact with hot pan.
- These look better if a little lacy.
- When golden turn and cook the other side.
- Keep cooked ones in a warm oven.
Great but also easy recipe. Everyone loved these hash browns. They came out crispy and brown. I added a small amount of fresh rosemary and parsley. The rosemary makes them savory and the parsley adds freshness. Either way, great recipe. Feel free to add flavors you like. Thank you
very easy and economical! I used my cast iron skillet and used about 1/4 inch of olive oil (gives more flavor than reg. vegetable oil.) Easy to flavor with garlic salt or cayenne pepper for extra kick. Also used this for Bacon,Cheese and Potato Chowder Bacon, Cheese and Potato Chowder and it turned out wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
This recipe really helped me with my hash brown craving. I added both the chopped parsley and anchovies. Kept the recipe almost as is except didn't add salt and used Egg Like which is an egg replacer. Used olive oil cooking spray instead of olive oil. My 3 year old really enjoyed eating them as well. Thank you Missy Wombat