Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These burgers are very moist and are easy to make. Everyone I've made these for always love them. Hope you do too!!
- 1 lb lean ground beef or 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 1 medium potato, peeled
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2-1 cup breadcrumbs or 2 -3 slices bread, cut or torn into small pieces (may need more or less)
- salt and pepper
- Grate the potato and then the onion in a large bowl.
- Add 1 of the eggs and mix with spoon or hands (you can add the salt and pepper at this time if you like).
- Add the beef (or chicken) and the other egg, mix until well blended.
- Add the breadcrumbs until the mixture sticks together but is not too dry.
- Remember to add salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into 4 patties, each about 3/4-inch thick.
- You can bbq, fry or broil the burgers for 10-15 minutes.
I'm not the best burger griller you'll meet, but this recipe is helping to change that! I tweaked a bit by not using a potato, dicing the onion and frying it and then adding it to the recipe. I prepared the rest of the recipe as is, substituting garlic powder for salt. This recipe yields a moist burger, even when cooked through. Thank you for posting.
Since finding this recipe, I've tried several variations. First, I used a half and half mixture of ground chuck and pork sausage, making meatballs instead of hamburger patties. To this I added Paula Deens meatloaf topping (to 1 cup of ketchup add 3 tablespoons prepared mustard, 6 tablespoons brown sugar and stir). My wife, who is not particularly carnivorous, still makes yummy noises whenever it is mentioned, and I must admit I don't care as much for "plain" burgers anymore. I've been compiling a book of tried-and-true recipes for my daughter, recently married. This is definitely going in! Thank you, Christie.
The potato and bread crumbs really helped to hold the burgers together. I used 1 small onion and about 1/3 of a green pepper that I grated in with the onion. I added about 1/2 tsp. garlic powder also. We had these as burger patties with ketchup along side garlic mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. Delicious!