Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this somewhere on the web as I was searching for sodium-free alternatives for my DD. She loves stove top mix type meals, but they were absolutely off limits for her salt-free needs. This is a great substitute, easy to make and can be used to make a variety of different stove top meals. One recipe for an Italian skillet dinner is included below; I will add more as I try them. This makes enough for several dinners. Mix it up and store in a plastic container.
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sodium free chicken soup base or 1 tablespoon beef base
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes or 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Mix ingredients together and store in an air tight container.
- Use mix as a base for the following dinner: serves 4-6 people.
- Italian Shells Skillet Dinner. Ingredients: 1 pound ground beef - 1 cup Homemade Hamburger Helper Mix - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or more to taste - 1 onion, chopped - 3 medium tomatoes, chopped - (optional - 1 green pepper, chopped) - 3 cups water, or more if needed - 16 ounces tomato sauce, sodium free - 3 cups small shell noodles, uncooked - 1/2 cup parmesan cheese - 1 cup shredded low sodium mozzeralla cheese
- Brown beef in skillet and crumble. Drain off fat and add helper mix, onion, 3 cups water, tomato sauce, noodles and red pepper flakes. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring until thickened and noodles are done (may need a few extra minutes, add more water if sauce gets too thick). Remove from heat and stir in parmesan. Top with mozzerlla cheese and allow to sit until cheese is melted.