Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cheeseburger Macaroni Hamburger Helper without all the preservatives.
- 226.79 g ground beef
- 453.59 g elbow macaroni
- 226.79 g frozen corn
- 354.88 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 118.29 ml cream cheese, softened
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml milk
- 396.89 g tomato sauce
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 14.79 ml parsley flakes
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook meat over medium-high heat in a large skillet until browned. Drain and return to pan.
- Add all dry seasonings and flour, stir till combined.
- Add milk, tomato sauce and corn, bring to a boil stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook 2 minutes.
- Add macaroni pasta and cheeses, toss to coat.
I so wanted to love this. My family likes hamburger, we eat cheese, we eat pasta, and we enjoy meals with tomato sauce. Combine it all and it sounded delicious. My 4 year old, who eats almost everything I cook and is not the least bit picky, didn't like it at all. I thought the cream cheese made it way too heavy and gave it an odd consistency, and the tomato sauce gives it too much of a tang. Hubby ate it, but it wasn't his fave. Also, with the 1 lb. of macaroni in the recipe, it made a HUGE amount, way more than the servings suggested. Won't be making this again.
We liked this more than I thought we would. It does make a lot. 8 oz of pasta makes a very saucy dish. With a pound of pasta you can freeze some to bake as a casserole later. I had to double the spices (except salt) for our family. I used 1% milk, reduced-fat cheddar, and reduced-fat cream cheese. I also cooked the beef with a small, chopped onion. Good comfort food.
Although I slightly modified, this recipe is exactly what the title claims.
It's a rich, yummy comfort food. I like it better than the boxed version-It's
much less salty. I left out the cream cheese and it was still a very rich,
creamy sauce. Like a previous reviewer, I used mozzerella cheese instead
of cheddar. Also previously stated, 1/2 lb.pasta was well more than enough.
As meat-lovers, I will probably use a bit more beef the next time. This was
a great, quick, easy recipe!!!!
time, even with the reduced pasta amount.