Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Easy and cheap using instant rice, spices, tomato sauce and topped with cheddar cheese.
Make and share this Homemade Hamburger Helper recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3 cups instant rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown ground beef and onion together in a large skillet. Drain off all grease when meat is done.
- Add chili powder, salt, pepper, oregano, water, tomato sauce and bay leaf. Simmer for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- When sauce starts to boil, stir in uncooked instant rice. Cover with tight fitting lid and remove from heat. Let set for about 15 minutes. Uncover and stir, removing bay leaf.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and return lid for another 3-5 minutes just long enough to let cheese melt. Serve directly from the stove-top. Serves 6.
- 365 Quick, Easy & Inexpensive Dinner Menus.
Hate to say anything bad but this one seemed like a waster of perfectly good ground beef to me. The rice would not get tender and it was bland at that. Throwing it out and eating leftovers tonight.
Very much like Hamburger Helper. It had a little kick to it, so if you don't like spicy cut the chili pepper in half. I added finely chopped green pepper to it also to get more veggies into my kids! My four year old really liked it, and my 6 year old said he liked it a little. I also used brown rice and my leftover pasta sauce rather than white rice and canned tomato sauce. Pretty easy; I would make it again. :)
pretty easy, the kids like it