Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 hrs
I got this recipe from a website and wanted to share it. I loved the yogurt it made! I added a little splenda and vanilla extract to mine and then layered it with fresh berries and a crumbled granola bar! Here is the link to the original: http://annies-eats.com/2012/03/08/diy-greek-yogurt/ *Cooking time is the sitting time in the oven.
- Pour milk into a large sauce pot over medium-high heat.
- Heat the milk, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 180 degrees.
- Remove from heat and cool to between 110-120 degrees, still stirring occasionally.
- Once the temperature reaches that range, add the yogurt and milk powder.
- Whisk until smooth and then pour into a bowl with a lid.
- Wrap in thick kitchen towels and place in a preheated oven. (You can preheat it to any temp, you just want the oven to be warm to keep the yogurt warm).
- Allow it to sit undisturbed in the oven for 8-12 hours (I left it for a little over 13 hours with no problem).
- Remove it from the oven and strain in a mesh strainer or colander lined with a coffee filter or paper towels (you can also use cheese cloth, I just never have any).
- Drain for about an hour or two depending on how dry you like your yogurt.
- Place in a lidded storage container and keep in the fridge for up to a week.