12 hrs 30 mins
Nurse Amanda's Note:
I got this recipe from a website and wanted to share it. I loved the yogurt it made! I added a little splenda and vanilla extract to mine and then layered it with fresh berries and a crumbled granola bar! Here is the link to the original: http://annies-eats.com/2012/03/08/diy-greek-yogurt/ *Cooking time is the sitting time in the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour milk into a large sauce pot over medium-high heat.
- 2Heat the milk, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 180 degrees.
- 3Remove from heat and cool to between 110-120 degrees, still stirring occasionally.
- 4Once the temperature reaches that range, add the yogurt and milk powder.
- 5Whisk until smooth and then pour into a bowl with a lid.
- 6Wrap in thick kitchen towels and place in a preheated oven. (You can preheat it to any temp, you just want the oven to be warm to keep the yogurt warm).
- 7Allow it to sit undisturbed in the oven for 8-12 hours (I left it for a little over 13 hours with no problem).
- 8Remove it from the oven and strain in a mesh strainer or colander lined with a coffee filter or paper towels (you can also use cheese cloth, I just never have any).
- 9Drain for about an hour or two depending on how dry you like your yogurt.
- 10Place in a lidded storage container and keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Greek Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.8
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 197.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 22.9 g
- Protein 14.9 g