Recipe by gailanng
No fructose corn syrup. Can make an infinite combination of desired flavors…and better than store-bought, but be aware that these will be a tad softer. The last ingredient should read "white or chocolate chips".
Top Review by chelseywhitfield
These granola bars are delicious and have some healthy ingredients too! I make these up for a quick bar to run on for my husband before work and for my son in the car. I use sunflower seeds instead of pecans, cashews, etc. Love them!
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup flax seed
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup almonds, sliced (or other chopped nuts like cashews, walnuts, peanuts, macadamias or pecans)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or other chopped dried fruit like raisins, pineapple, apricots, cherries, papaya, prunes, white or c)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Combine the oats, wheat germ, flax seeds, sesame seeds and almonds; spread out evenly on the rimmed baking sheet and toast for approximately 10 to 15 minutes until golden, stirring occasionally and watching carefully so as not to burn.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl combine salt, coconut, cinnamon and dried cranberries; set aside.
- In a large measuring cup place the vanilla, honey, butter and brown sugar. Microwave approximately 2 minutes. Mixture will foam and bubble. Stir to completely dissolve brown sugar.
- When oat mixture is done toasting, transfer to the same bowl with coconut mixture and stir to evenly combine. Add the honey mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Line a 9” x 13” baking pan with waxed paper. Spread the mixture, using the back of a wooden spoon, pressing to create a smooth, even surface. Place another piece of waxed paper over the top, pressing down to evenly compact the mixture. Compacting is important so the bars won’t fall apart when cut. (Suggestion: place one pan of same size within the other and press to even out mixture.).
- Refrigerate and completely cool the mixture about 2 hours to assure a clean cut. Firmly press down with a large knife to cut into bars. Do not saw. Wrap bars in waxed paper and store in refrigerator or freezer.