1/6 Photos of Homemade Gluten or Seitan
Chef #208121's Note:
The Veg Soc recipe for Seitan or Gluten with broth. This recipes is to make Seitan from scratch. Remember you can always use a different broth if you want.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups gluten flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/4 cups water or 1 1/4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons lite tamari or 3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos or 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 -3 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 1Basic recipe for Gluten:.
- 2Add garlic powder and ginger to flour and stir. Mix liquids together and add to flour mixture all at once. Mix vigorously with a fork. When it forms a stiff dough, knead it 10 to 15 times.
- 3Let the dough rest 2 to 5 minutes, then knead it a few more times. Let it rest another 15 minutes before proceeding.
- 4Cut gluten into 6 to 8 pieces and stretch into thin cutlets. Simmer in broth for 30 to 60 minutes.
- 6Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring broth to a boil. Add cutlets one at a time. Reduce heat to barely simmer when saucepan is covered. Seitan may be used, refrigerated, or frozen at this point.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Gluten or Seitan
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.6
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 594.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 16.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: