These are the Pioneer Woman's doughnuts and I haven't had anything bad from her yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/8 cups whole milk, Warm
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons yeast, Instant (one Package) or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (one Package)
- 2 large eggs, Beaten
- 5/8 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- canola oil
- 1To Make the Dough:.
- 21. Make sure milk is nice and warm, but not overly hot.
- 32. Add sugar to milk. Stir to dissolve.
- 43. Add yeast into a small bowl.
- 54. Pour milk/sugar mixture over yeast. Stir gently, then let sit for 10 minutes.
- 65. Melt butter in separate bowl until butter is almost melted. Stir to finish melting so butter won’t be overly hot.
- 76. Add beaten eggs to melted butter, stirring constantly to make sure the butter’s not too hot for the eggs.
- 87. Add the egg/butter mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook.
- 98. With the mixer on 3 or medium-low speed, pour in the yeast mixture.
- 109. Allow the dough hook to stir this mixture for a couple of minutes, making sure it’s thoroughly combined.
- 1110. With the mixer still going, add helpings of the flour mixture in 1/4 to 1/2 cup increments until all the flour is gone.
- 1211. Stop the mixer, scrape the bowl, then turn the mixer on the same speed for five whole minutes.
- 1312. After five minutes, stop the mixer and scrape the bottom of the bowl.
- 1413. Turn on the mixer for 30 seconds.
- 1514. Turn off the mixer and allow the dough to sit in the bowl undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- 1615. After 10 minutes, transfer dough to a lightly oiled bowl. Toss the dough to coat, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place straight in the fridge.
- 1716. Refrigerate dough for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- 18To Make the Doughnuts:.
- 191. Remove bowl from fridge and turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- 202. Roll out to 1/4 to 1/3-inch thickness.
- 213. Using a 3-inch cutter, cut as many rounds as you can, then roll out remaining dough and cut as much as you can, etc.
- 224. Cut holes out of each round using a 1 1/2-inch cutter.
- 235. Place both doughnuts and holes on a floured baking sheet.
- 246. Cover with large tea towel and place in a warm place in your kitchen; my kitchen is very drafty, so I have to briefly warm the griddle, then turn it off and set the sheets on top to keep warm.
- 257. Allow doughnuts to rise undisturbed for at least 1 hour; 1 hour 15 minutes if necessary. Doughuts should be visibly puffier and appear to be airy.
- 26To Fry the Dougnuts.
- 271. Heat plenty of canola oil in a large pot until the temperature reaches 375 to 380 degrees—do not let it get hotter than 380 degrees! 375 is ideal; keep the thermometer in the pan to continually monitor.
- 282. One to two at a time, gently grab doughnuts and ease them into the hot oil. Allow them to cook 1 minute on each side; they will brown very quickly.
- 293. Remove doughnuts from the oil with a slotted spoon, allowing all oil to drip off.
- 304. Place doughnut immediately on several layers of paper towels. Count to five, then flip it over onto a clean part of the paper towels. Count to five, then flip it over again; the purpose, obviously, is to drain as much grease as possible before it soaks into the doughnut.
- 315. Repeat with remaining doughnuts and holes. The holes will cook more quickly than the doughnuts; about 30 seconds per side.
- 326. Allow doughnuts to slightly cool.
- 33To Glaze.
- 341. Mix all glaze ingredients in a bowl until completely smooth.
- 352. One by one, dip doughnuts into the glaze until halfway submerged. (Note: completely submerge doughnut holes, then remove with slotted spoon.).
- 364. Remove from glaze, then turn right side up on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet (to catch dripping glaze.).
- 375. Serve warm if possible, or room temperature.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Glazed Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.3
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 41.9 mg
- Sodium 112.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 23.3 g
- Protein 4.3 g