Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This ginger beer is very spicy. Adjust the amount of lime juice and sugar to your taste.
Make and share this Homemade Ginger Beer recipe from Food.com.
- Place ginger in a food processor, and process until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a large pot, and add boiling water.
- Allow to stand for 1 hour.
- Drain with a fine sieve lined with a double thickness of damp cheesecloth.
- Discard solids.
- Add lime juice and sugar, and stir to dissolve.
I like it sweet and spicy and this certainly was spicy. I also left it to soak overnight, like Sharon did. I doubled the sugar, though, using 1 1/2 cup brown sugar in addition to the 1 1/2 cup white sugar in recipe. I also added about 25 drops of Angostura Bitters, trying to recreate the flavor of some Jamaican ginger beer I've had in past. Requires some more tinkering for us, I will try with all brown sugar next time, but generally, this is a very nice and easy fizzless ginger beer. One could add some fizzy water, I suppose, it's potent enough for diluting.
I love ginger brew, so made this, leaving the ginger to soak in the water overnight to get all the ginger taste out of it. I love to mix it with a little pineapple juice. Thanks!