Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Homemade soda is so much better for you then store bought and this is really fun! What a great way to entertain kids and keep them busy on a rainy day! This can be lots of fun for kids and a fun way for them to learn science and math. Let them experiment by adding different herbs and spices to achieve all different kinds of results. I can see this being a very popular science fair project or even a cool home school project! Resting time is not listed in cooking time. Must 'cook' for two days.
- Using a funnel, pour sugar and yeast in a 2 quart container with a tight seal, a clean, empty soda bottle works well. Shake well to mix.
- Mix all juices and ginger together, a glass measuring cup with a pouring lip is the easiest.
- Pour juice and ginger into bottle, using funnel again. Tuck the bay leaf into the bottle opening. Put some water in the measuring cup to get every drop of juice then pour the water into the bottle.
- Before filling the bottle completely, close bottle tightly and shake gently to mix. Open and fill the bottle up with water until liquid is one inch from the top. You must leave an inch of space between the cap and the liquid or the bottle may explode.
- Every 15 minutes give the bottle a shake to keep the sugar from settling on the bottom. Do this every 15 minutes for the first hour- GREAT fun for kids! hint hint
- Put bottle in a warm place for 24 to 48 hours or until you can’t squeeze the bottle easily because carbonation has occurred and pressurized the bottle.
- Serve cold by either serving over ice or storing the bottle in the refrigerator once the bottle is firm.