1/1 Photo of Homemade Garlic Cheddar Cheese Bread
3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Vino Girl's Note:
This is the most delicious bread, both warm from the oven or toasted. It also makes the best super cheesy grilled cheese sandwiches! This is also good with a bit of basil worked into the dough. I have also made this in a bread machine, but I do NOT recommend it. The cheese becomes too pulverized and it does not turn out even remotely as good. This makes two loaves so even though it is some trouble to make, as any good homemade bread is, you can make it once and get two loaves for your trouble - one for now and one for later. ***Edit: I haven't made this bread in a while, and Kay's review reminded me that it is good to replace at least some of the shredded cheese with small chunks instead, if you want a more perceptably cheesy flavor. The shreds do tend to blend in with the dough, while the chunks melt into pockets in the bread. ***
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat milk and butter to 120°F Combine half of flour, yeast, sugar, salt, milk and butter mixture, cheese, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- 2Knead with a mixer fitted with a dough hook at highest speed for 3 minutes.
- 3Add the rest of the flour and continue kneading for 3 more minutes.
- 4If the dough seems too sticky, slowly add more flour until the stickiness is corrected.
- 5Place dough in a greased bowl, and spray the top of the dough with cooking spray.
- 6Cover and let rise for one hour.
- 7Punch the dough down and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- 8Divide dough in half and form one loaf each in two greased 9 x 5 inch standard loaf pans.
- 9Cover the pans with plastic wrap and allow dough to rise for 45-60 minutes.
- 10Preheat oven to 375°F Bake loaves for 10 minutes; then turn oven down to 350F and bake for 30-35 minutes longer, until the breads are browned.
- 11Cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes; turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool for a minimum of 5-10 more minutes so the bread firms up enough to be cut.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Garlic Cheddar Cheese Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1622 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2226.0
- Calories from Fat 621
- Total Fat 69.0 g
- Saturated Fat 41.6 g
- Cholesterol 202.8 mg
- Sodium 3326.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 317.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 79.2 g