1 hr 30 mins
Chef Lemonade's Note:
Great way to use up extra garden tomatoes. A relatively healthy sauce for pasta. Subtract veggies and turkey and it makes a great pizza sauce as well. This recipe makes A LOT of thick, chunky tomato sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5-6 large fresh tomatoes
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 453.59 g ground turkey
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 226.79 g carton sliced mushrooms
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml salt (or to taste)
- 29.58 ml pepper (or to taste)
- 14.79 ml red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 29.58 ml oregano (or to taste)
- 29.58 ml dried basil (or to taste)
- 14.79 ml onion powder (or to taste)
- 7.39 ml paprika
- 7.39-14.79 ml garlic powder (depending on taste)
- 85.04 g can tomato paste
- 1Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute or two. Remove them from boiling water and run under cold tap water. Remove peels. Chop tomatoes into small pieces. Set aside.
- 2In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic until fragrant, about one minute. Add chopped onions and sautee for about three minutes. Add ground turkey and cook for about two to three minutes. Add chopped red and green peppers and mushrooms and cook until veggies are tender and turkey is browned.
- 3Add chopped tomatoes to pot and stir. Bring to a boil and add sugar.
- 4Add spices (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, onion powder, paprika, and garlic powder). Adjust amounts according to personal preference. Stir sauce and reduce heat to medium-low to low.
- 5Allow sauce to simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- 6After sauce has simmered for a while, add one half a can of tomato paste to thicken it. Stir well and allow to simmer for about twenty minutes more.
- 7Serve with pasta and grated parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Garden Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 123.8
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 26.1 mg
- Sodium 667.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 9.8 g