Recipe by Chef Lemonade
Great way to use up extra garden tomatoes. A relatively healthy sauce for pasta. Subtract veggies and turkey and it makes a great pizza sauce as well. This recipe makes A LOT of thick, chunky tomato sauce.
Top Review by CJ #6
This was outstanding!!! I love spicy tomato sauce. I used tomatoes, garlic, onions, green pepper, red pepper, oregano, and basil from my garden. I want to test it for freezing. If it passes the test next weekend, I will make 10 batches for the winter. Thanks so much.
- 5 -6 large fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons oregano (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons dried basil (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon garlic powder (depending on taste)
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for a minute or two. Remove them from boiling water and run under cold tap water. Remove peels. Chop tomatoes into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic until fragrant, about one minute. Add chopped onions and sautee for about three minutes. Add ground turkey and cook for about two to three minutes. Add chopped red and green peppers and mushrooms and cook until veggies are tender and turkey is browned.
- Add chopped tomatoes to pot and stir. Bring to a boil and add sugar.
- Add spices (salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, onion powder, paprika, and garlic powder). Adjust amounts according to personal preference. Stir sauce and reduce heat to medium-low to low.
- Allow sauce to simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- After sauce has simmered for a while, add one half a can of tomato paste to thicken it. Stir well and allow to simmer for about twenty minutes more.
- Serve with pasta and grated parmesan cheese.