Recipe by bmxmama
I got this recipe years ago from TOH I think, I could be wrong. It's very delicious and easy to make for that sunny hot afternoon treat.
Top Review by angie7255
Loved the end result but the amount of cornstarch is a bit questionable, it thickened way before 6 minutes more like 2-3 minutes. Make sure you chill it really good before adding to ice cream maker, but it is the richest creamiest custard ever!
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring milk to a boil.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs; add sugar, cornstarch and salt. Mix well.
- Gradually, add a small amount of hot milk; return all to the saucepan.
- Cook and stir constantly for 6-8 minutes or until mixture thickens and coasts a spoon.
- Gradually stir in condensed milk and vanilla; mix well.
- Chill 3-4 hours.
- Pour into an ice cream freezer.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Yield: about 1-1/2 qts.