Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I got this recipe years ago from TOH I think, I could be wrong. It's very delicious and easy to make for that sunny hot afternoon treat.
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring milk to a boil.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs; add sugar, cornstarch and salt. Mix well.
- Gradually, add a small amount of hot milk; return all to the saucepan.
- Cook and stir constantly for 6-8 minutes or until mixture thickens and coasts a spoon.
- Gradually stir in condensed milk and vanilla; mix well.
- Chill 3-4 hours.
- Pour into an ice cream freezer.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Yield: about 1-1/2 qts.
Loved the end result but the amount of cornstarch is a bit questionable, it thickened way before 6 minutes more like 2-3 minutes. Make sure you chill it really good before adding to ice cream maker, but it is the richest creamiest custard ever!
First time making custard, and wanted a simple recipe that I could change up. I made this chocolate by adding two pouches of the nestle pre-melted chocolate to the egg mixture. I made up the custard last night, chilled in the fridge over night then put it in the ice cream maker today. Taste awesome, and was a recipe I could share with those who need to make it avoid allergies. Next time I plan on making it banana with dark chocolate chips
This is super delicious and creamy. After reading one of the reviews the cornstarch was reduced to 2 tablespoons. It thickened quickly and after chilling overnight made a delicious frozen treat. I can see me making this recipe many times over.