Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Why just open a jar, when it is so easy and quick to make fresh? Originally from a vegetarian cookbook, then I made it my own with a few additions.
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice (I use diced, but pureed work well too or 4 large diced tomatoes in season are great!)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup onion, minced (1 onion)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more to taste)
- Combine all ingredients.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Puree all for easy and fast preparation.
- Serve with raw veggies, pita chips or corn chips.
I made this when I needed some salsa to add to a different recipe. It was easy and quick to make with ingredients I had, but I wouldn't make this to serve as plain salsa. It was relativly runny and the onion taste was quite strong. However, it is a convenient recipe to have and I could adapt it more to my taste.
Excellent! I used canned diced tomatoes and fresh cilantro and instead of the cayenne pepper used sambal oelek, (hot red pepper condiment). Other than that small change I followed the recipe. I refrigerated it for a few hours, and it tasted really fresh! I did not puree, as my family prefer chunky salsa. My salsa was not hot at all, which satisfied us.