Fresh is just so much nicer then the pre-packaged kind that uses picnic bacon and tastes like cardboard. These fry quickly and you don't have to crumble the slices after frying them. There is no need to separate the pieces. They will separate during cooking. Use these in any recipe calling for crumbled bacon or bacon bits. Perfect for salads and baked potato toppings or twice baked potatoes.
- Partially freeze your package of bacon so that it holds together easier while slicing.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the frozen bacon into long strips about 1/4 inch wide.
- Turn the bacon and cut the strips into pieces also about 1/4 in wide.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
- Fry over a medium high heat until crisp.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- You can freeze this for later use by placing the bacon bits in a single layer on a cooking sheet. Once they are frozen, place them in a zip lock bag for use in recipes, salads or baked potatoes. Freezing this way allows you to be able to take out just what you need without thawing the entire bag of frozen solid bacon bits.