1/1 Photo of Homemade French Bread
3 hrs 20 mins
Slave to the Stove's Note:
There really is no fat (oil, butter, etc.) in this recipe. This is a delicious bread, with a nice chewy texture. It was a big hit in our house. As far as yeast breads go, this one is fairly simple, with only 5 ingredients and minimal fuss.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11.In mixing bowl, combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- 22.Add salt and 1 cup of flour. Mix together vigorously with a whisk until smooth.
- 33.Using a spoon stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a dough that is a little sticky, but stiff enough to work with.
- 44.Knead for 5 minutes, adding flour as necessary. Dough should be smooth and elastic.
- 55.Grease bowl, and return dough to bowl. Cover with towel. Allow to rise for approximately 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Let your dough rise in a warm place (70-75 degrees) and free from drafts.
- 66.Punch down dough and divide into 2 equal portions. Form each half into a long baguette shape the length of your pan. I used a jelly roll sheet. I also twisted my loaves. (You could form into another shape if you’d like, but you may have to adjust baking time.).
- 77.Cover with towel and let rise for approximately 30 minutes.
- 88.Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (640 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.5
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1172.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 151.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 21.1 g