Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
There really is no fat (oil, butter, etc.) in this recipe. This is a delicious bread, with a nice chewy texture. It was a big hit in our house. As far as yeast breads go, this one is fairly simple, with only 5 ingredients and minimal fuss.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons yeast or 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour (approximately)
- 1.In mixing bowl, combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- 2.Add salt and 1 cup of flour. Mix together vigorously with a whisk until smooth.
- 3.Using a spoon stir in enough of the remaining flour to form a dough that is a little sticky, but stiff enough to work with.
- 4.Knead for 5 minutes, adding flour as necessary. Dough should be smooth and elastic.
- 5.Grease bowl, and return dough to bowl. Cover with towel. Allow to rise for approximately 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Let your dough rise in a warm place (70-75 degrees) and free from drafts.
- 6.Punch down dough and divide into 2 equal portions. Form each half into a long baguette shape the length of your pan. I used a jelly roll sheet. I also twisted my loaves. (You could form into another shape if you’d like, but you may have to adjust baking time.).
- 7.Cover with towel and let rise for approximately 30 minutes.
- 8.Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Wonderful texture and taste! Excellent, will be making again!
Absolutely delicious. :-)
My goodness this is wonderful bread! Nice firm crust and lovely soft and chewy inside. Delicious and easy - really loved this - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for My3Chefs 2013