Chef OnMyMom's Note:
Ahhhh, fond memories of my mom making tortillas on a Tuesday evening for dinner (it was bean night). This recipe was hard to recreate, my mom is a cook who used a pinch of this and a fistful of that, LOL. Great memories. Thanks mom! (Yes, my mom loved them!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the three dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add the shortening and mix thoroughly. You can use your hands, a strong spoon, a pastry cutter or two knives.
- 2Pour in the warm water and mix well. Towards the end of mixing you will need to finish mixing with your hands.
- 3Roll the dough into a ball and knead for 6-7 minutes. Place back into the bowl and cover with waxed paper or plastic wrap. Let the dough sit for 15 -- 30 minutes.
- 4Divide the dough into approximately 32 small balls.
- 5Lightly flour your surface and roll out each ball to a 6 - 8 inch diameter tortilla. Cook on a griddle, comal, cast iron skillet, etc., on low heat or as desired. (Less chance of burning). Cook on one side until the top starts to bubble, then turn over for a few more seconds.
- 6Cooking the tortillas is similar to that of pancakes. Then enjoy!
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Flour Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 284.3
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 360.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g