Recipe by Rubies
This is a very simple flour tortillas recipe adapted from one I found on-line somewhere. My family likes these so much better than store-bought. The time to make includes 30 minutes rest time for the dough.
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the oil to the warm water.
- Add the oil/water mixture to the flour mixture, one tablespoon at a time.
- Mix the dough after each addition of oil/water.
- Repeat this process until all the oil/water has been added.
- Note: The dough will be sticky.
- Knead the dough on a floured board for 4-5 minutes, adding more flour as needed.
- Place the dough back in the mixing bowl and cover with a damp towel.
- Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Pinch the dough into 12 golf ball-sized balls.
- Place the balls on a platter or board and cover with the damp cloth.
- Let the balls rest for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a cast iron skillet (works best) or other skillet over medium heat.
- Roll out the balls to a 6- or 7-inch diameter, about 1/8 inch thick.
- Place one tortilla in the preheated skillet and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Flip the tortilla over and cook it on the other side.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.