Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
*** Note: With the new PointsPlus WW system, these rate as a 3 pt. item.*** A great recipe for healthier flour tortillas. Fill these with beef, chicken, shrimp, and/or veggies. Use sour cream, salsa or guacamole to dip them in. These are also ideal for Nif's Very Basic Cheese Quesadillas or Nif's Healthy Baked Beef Burritos. Enjoy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- Put the flour, shortening, baking powder, and salt in food processor. With the machine running, add the water through the feed tube; process just until a soft dough forms. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and shape each into a ball. Roll each ball out between sheets of plastic wrap into a 6-inch round.
- Set a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat and heat until a drop of water sizzles in it. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add a dough round and cook until speckled and slightly puffed, about 1 1/2 minute on each side. Transfer the tortilla to a plate lined with a clean kitchen towel; fold the towel over to keep the tortilla warm. Cook the remaining dough rounds to make a total of 6 tortillas, stacking them in the towel as they are cooked.
- To reheat the tortillas, wrap each one in a separate paper towel or napkin and microwave on High until heated, about 5 seconds for each tortilla.
Great tortilla recipe! I made them for a mid-afternoon snack for me and my sister. For fun I rolled in some cilantro to a couple of them and lime zest to another, which by the way was very tasty. :) The only thing I changed was that I did it by hand instead of in the food processor, turned out very well. Thank you Nif for sharing this recipe. Made for ZWT5.
Great, simple recipe! I followed all the ingredients but didn't have a food processor... I used my kitchen aide. Rolled them out on the counter with my rolling pin and fried them in a tiny bit of veg. oil.... made tostadas!! Brought the kids to the kitchen!
for homemade tortillas these turned out very good, I plan on using them to make wraps, I may not purchase any from the store again the flavor is much better that the packaged ones, great recipe thank Niffie, this was made for KK's tag game