1/11 Photos of Homemade Flour Tortillas
Great basic tortilla recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the 3 cups flour, salt and baking powder in large bowl.
- 2Either by hand, or with pastry blender, work in the shortening until crumbly (you can add a little more shortening if the mixture looks too floury).
- 3Slowly add the water (I start with 1 cup and add more as needed) to flour mixture while tossing with a fork.
- 4With your hands, knead dough vigorously for about 2 minutes, until it forms a nice dough ball.
- 5Cover with cloth and let stand at least 15 minutes.
- 6Take a ball of dough (golf ball size for small, slightly more for bigger tortillas) and roll into a ball.
- 7Roll in flour to cover.
- 8On floured surface, roll out dough evenly and very thin.
- 9Place each tortilla on a medium hot cast iron skillet.
- 10Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until the tortilla no longer looks doughy.
- 11NOTE: the ingredients are fairly accurate, but feel free to adjust to get the correct consistency.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Flour Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (729 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.6
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 255.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.2 g