Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great basic tortilla recipe!
Make and share this Homemade Flour Tortillas recipe from Food.com.
- Combine the 3 cups flour, salt and baking powder in large bowl.
- Either by hand, or with pastry blender, work in the shortening until crumbly (you can add a little more shortening if the mixture looks too floury).
- Slowly add the water (I start with 1 cup and add more as needed) to flour mixture while tossing with a fork.
- With your hands, knead dough vigorously for about 2 minutes, until it forms a nice dough ball.
- Cover with cloth and let stand at least 15 minutes.
- Take a ball of dough (golf ball size for small, slightly more for bigger tortillas) and roll into a ball.
- Roll in flour to cover.
- On floured surface, roll out dough evenly and very thin.
- Place each tortilla on a medium hot cast iron skillet.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until the tortilla no longer looks doughy.
- NOTE: the ingredients are fairly accurate, but feel free to adjust to get the correct consistency.
I made these, for the first time about half an hour ago and they are very good. I did add some tex-mex spices
to the dough, because I find plain tortillas bland. I added 1/2 tsp. ground cumin, 1/4 tsp. chille powder and about 1/2 tsp. Fiesta Lime spice mix. I was amazed at how east this dough is to work with. The only problem I had was moving the rolled dough to the frying pan. Maybe my hands are just small:)
These turned out really good. We made steak fajitas with these tortillas and the thickness of the homemade tortillas was great with the meat! My husband said that it was his favorite thing I have ever made for him, so we will have to keep this recipe around! Thanks for posting, it was really easy!
Ok this is about the10th recipe for flour tortillas that I've tried, and I have to be honest they weren't the prettiest, but they tasted GREAT! I used cake flour cuz that's what I had and was afraid they may come out tough, but to my surprise they didn't. I have a tortilla press, but was to lazy to pull it out, but to me, rolling out the dough is the best part! I'm going to roll out circle if it's the last thing I do! :) I will make these again, with the all purpose flour, thanks for the easy and tasty recipe Charmie777.