Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 24 pitted dates
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup or 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Lightly coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix the honey, orange juice and the 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Stir in the dates.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, soda and baking powder.
- Mix maple syrup, egg whites, oil and the 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Add to the whole-wheat flour mixture.
- Beat with an electric mixer till combined, scraping sides of bowl frequently (mixture will be crumbly).
- Add date mixture and beat till combined.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes or till top is lightly golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into 12 bars.
- Serve at once, or wrap and freeze individual bars.
- Thaw before eating.
- Makes 12 bars.