Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My mom gave me this recipe a while back. It is the best chicken enchiladas I have ever had outside of my home state of Texas. It is very simple to make also. I use a 4.8 Qrt Pyrex baking dish.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 10 tortillas
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 large onion
- For the chili gravy:.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the flour and continue stirring for 3 to 4 min or until it makes a light brown roux.
- Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients.
- Turn the heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 minutes. add water to adjust the thickness.
- Makes about two cups.
- For the enchiladas:.
- Cut the chicken in to small pieces and cook in the pan with the oil.
- After the chicken is cooked and cool pull in to small pieces or shred it.
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Cut the block of velveeta in to strips about a 1/4 of an inch.
- Chop up the onion.
- Lightly coat the bottom of the pan with the gravy. I use a 4.8 Qrt Pyrex.
- Take a tortilla and place the shredded chicken in it. Then place some chopped onion and spoon a small amount of the gravy in side of the tortilla. Place a piece of cheese or two inside the tortilla and wrap it up. Place it wrap side down in the pan. Repeat until you have stuffed all the tortillas inside. After you are done with that I place the rest of the cheese and onions on top of the tortillas. Then pour the rest of the gravy on the top of the tortillas. Use all of the gravy up because this is where your flavor comes from for the meal. You can put more onion or less or more cheese. It is all up to your taste and what you like. I try and pack as much in side of the tortillas as I can but it is up to you.
Living in the UK it is difficult finding good Mexican food so as a surprise I decide to make my husband enchiladas. Did some searching and ran across this recipe as I already had these ingredients. I was pleasingly surprised at the fabulous taste of this recipe. Needless to say it is one of my husband's favorite now.