Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
- 12 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whipping cream
- additional nutmeg (optional)
- In a heavy 4-qt saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar and salt.
- Gradually add 1 qt of milk.
- Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160F-170F, about 30-35 minutes.
- Pour into a large heatproof bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk.
- Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until mixture is cool.
- If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a mixing bowl on high until soft peaks form; whisk gently into cooled milk mixture.
- Pour into a chilled 5-qt punch bowl.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.
Great eggnog! Since I did not need such a large quantity, I divided the ingredients into 1/3rd of the stated amounts and followed the recipe as directed. I did, however, sneak in 1/4th of a cup each of rum and brandy, after chilling, and the result was most satisfactory! Must add that the taste of the eggnog the next day was far superior to that of the day it was made. Refrigerating it overnight definitely helped the flavors to permeate and mingle. Thank you for posting the recipe...shall definitely be making it next season again!
Turned out great! Only made quarter of a recipe for another recipe.