Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
Combination of several recipes I had tried.
- 12 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 cup Bourbon (optional)
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups whipping cream
- additional nutmeg (optional)
- In a heavy 4-qt saucepan, whisk together eggs, sugar, Burboun, and salt.
- Gradually add 1 qt of Half and Half.
- Cook and stir over low heat until a thermometer reads 160F-170F, about 30-35 minutes.
- Pour into a large heatproof bowl; stir in vanilla extract,almond extract, nutmeg and heavy cream.
- Place bowl in an ice-water bath, stirring frequently until mixture is cool.
- If mixture separates, process in a blender until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a mixing bowl on high until soft peaks form; beat gently into cooled mixture.
- Pour into a chilled punch bowl.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg if desired.