Recipe by threeovens
As seen on the Martha Stewart Show.
Top Review by Tootlestoo
This is exactly how my grandma taught me to make noodles and I am in my "50's" :). The only thing she taught me different is to add vodka instead of water as vodka doesn't stick to the gluten in the flour. Yummy................
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- On a large, clean work surface, mound flour; make a well in the center and add egg yolks, eggs, 2 tablespoons water and salt.
- Use a fork to beat eggs in the well; gradually incorporate flour.
- Once flour is incorporated, form a round ball and begin kneading the dough; discard any dried bits.
- Lightly flour work surface and knead dough until smooth and elastic; form a flat rectangle, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, refrigerate 20 minutes to 6 hours, to rest.
- Unwrap dough and flatten to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Set the rollers of a hand cranked or electric pasta machine to it's widest opening; run dough through, fold dough lengthwise and repeat.
- Do this 4 or 5 times until dough is smooth and elastic; cut dough in half.
- Set pasta machine to next smaller setting and roll one piece of dough through once (keep other piece covered by a clean kitchen towel); decrease setting and roll through again, repeating until it has run through on the lowest setting.
- Repeat with other piece of dough.
- Cut dough into 7 inch long pieces; roll up each piece and cut into 1/2 inch wide strips.
- Boil noodles in a large pot of salted water for 2 minutes; drain and serve.