Prep 2 mins
Cook 0 mins
Easy, cheap and fun! Coat the rim of a drink with this or let the kids use it like glitter for a rainy day art project. I actually made pink and green salt and sugar for my dd's bridal shower. There are so many uses for this! Kids of all ages love this! Great for wedding and baby showers, kids parties or craft projects etc,. Try different types of salt from fine to coarse if you like. Great way to get the kids involved! Try the sugar on top of breads, cookies or even toast! Storing in a clear salt shaker makes it easy to see the contents. Try making several colors and/or mixing two or more food colors to make a 'new' color. Great way to teach kids colors, math =measuring and so on. This is also just a great way to have fun and save money at the same time! You can use this same method to color rice, pasta, coconut flakes etc... Experiment and have FUN!
- 1⁄2 cup coarse salt (non iodized) or 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 -10 drops food coloring, adjust for desired color
- Measure salt or sugar into a clear jar with a tight fitting lid. Add food coloring one drop at a time and screw the cap on tightly. SHAKE to combine. Repeat until desired color is reached.
- Sprinkle, dip or shake onto whatever you like. I like to put this in a clear salt shaker for easy shaking or pour some into a saucer and dip the wet rim of an empty glass in it to make the glass pretty!
- Tip: This will keep for a very long time. This stays drier and stores wonderfully as is but even better if you spread colored salt/sugar in a thin layer to air dry for about an hour or microwave in 30 second intervals, stir and repeat for about 1-2 minutes or until moisture is evaporated. You can also add a few grains of rice to absorb any moisture.
I made drinks for the girls and used hello to rim the classes. Very tasty and colorful! If I had known how to make my own I wouldn't had to waste have a box of hello. Looks great and easy too. Thank you.
Wonderful thank you I will be using this as Edible Pixie Dust at my daughters Fairy Birthday Party! :) :)
This is so much fun to do. I did yellow and red. Thanks Hope :) Made for Bevy tag