Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My Grandmother has made these as long as I can remember. Was given the recipe when I got married. They are very good.
- 1⁄2 cup Karo syrup
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg white
- melted chocolate, to cover
- 1 cup peanut butter
- Bring sugar, water, and Karo syrup to a boil.
- While that is heating, beat egg white until it is stiff and peaks.
- Once syrup reaches a rolling boil, remove one cup and continue boiling the remaining syrup to 'Hard Crack' stage.
- Beat the one cup into egg white slowly and steadily until it thickens.
- Add Peanut Butter, mix thoroughly.
- Once the remaining syrup reaches 'Hard Crack', remove from heat and beat slowly and steadily into the eggwhite/syrup/peanut butter mixture.
- Cool until it is easily handled.
- Form into the shape of an egg (kneading is necessary as it will get a crumbly texture as it cools). knead it until it is smooth and form in the shape of an egg.
- Once cooled completely, cover with melted chocolate. Can be decorated with icing if desired.
- Makes about 15 palm sized eggs. Great gifts for Teachers, bus drivers, co-workers, etc --.