1/1 Photo of Homemade East Indian Naan Bread (Made Easy)
4 hrs 15 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My recipe for naan flatbread takes a little time, but is easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- melted butter (or melted garlic butter for garlic Naan)
OPTIONAL DIPPING SAUCE
OPTIONAL DIPPING SAUCE ADDITIONS
- 1STIR one (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast into warm water; LET sit for 10 minutes.
- 2MEASURE 2 cups all-purpose flour into a medium bowl; ADD 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda; MIX well; ADD 2 tablespoons oil and 2 1/2 tablespoons plain yogurt; MIX until crumbly.
- 3POUR the water and yeast mixture over flour; and make into soft dough; KNEAD the dough until smooth.
- 4COVER dough with a kitchen towel; KEEP in a warm place until dough doubles in volume, between 3 - 4 hours.
- 5SET oven rack in center position; PLACE a pizza stone in center of rack (NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PIZZA STONE, A CAST-IRON DUTCH OVEN OR GRIDDLE MAY BE USED); PREHEAT the oven to BAKE at 500°F , for at least twenty minutes until pizza stone is properly tempered; SET the BROILER to HIGH.
- 6LUBRICATE hands lightly with canola oil; KNEAD dough 2-3 minutes; DIVIDE dough into 6 equal portions.
- 7FLOUR a rolling board; ROLL each piece of dough on floured board with a rolling pin, into rounded shapes about 1/4-inch thick and no wider than 8 inches (they don't have to look perfect); RE-DUST board with flour as needed; REPEAT with remaining dough portions.
- 8WET hands lightly; TAKE Naan discs and flip them between your palms before placing them CAREFULLY onto hot pizza stone in oven without touching the stone (do not set more than two Naan at a time over stone); CLOSE oven door.
- 9BROIL-BAKE Naan on pizza stone in closed oven for 2-3 minutes (keep a close watch on timing); REMOVE baked Naan from stone with a spatula and/or tongs, wearing oven mitts; BASTE with suggested additions if desired (RE-TEMPER pizza stone for 3 minutes before continuing with your next batch).
- 10BASTE baked Naan with suggested BASTE; KEEP warm in lined bread basket until serving; SERVE with dipping sauce if desired and ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade East Indian Naan Bread (Made Easy)
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 203.3
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.8 mg
- Sodium 419.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 5.0 g