My recipe for chapati flatbread.
Make and share this Homemade East Indian Chapati Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (optional for leavened chapati)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2⁄3 cup water
SUGGESTED TOPPINGS (CHOOSE ONE OR TWO)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon fresh minced cilantro (per each side)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (per each side)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon minced fresh green onion top (per each side)
- 3⁄8 teaspoon fresh minced mint (per each side)
SUGGESTED SEED TOPPINGS (CHOOSE ONE OR TWO)
- 1 dash cumin seed (per each side)
- 1 dash dill seed (per each side)
- 1 dash onion seeds (per each side)
- 1 dash poppy seed (per each side)
- 1 dash sesame seeds (per each side)
- melted butter or ghee
CUCUMBER-MINT YOGURT SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint (or cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon minced onion (green okay)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest or 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- MEASURE the dry CHAPATI RECIPE ingredients first into large bowl of a food processor (omitting butter and water); PROCESS for 10 seconds; LEAVE processor running.
- ADD butter through feeder tube; PROCESS 10 seconds; POUR 2/3 cup water slowly through feeder tube of processor while running; PROCESS dough ingredients until it forms a ball, about one minute.
- REMOVE dough from processor.
- DIVIDE the dough into 8 equal portions; ROLL out each piece to a circle between 1/16-1/8 inch thick on a well-floured surface (for crispy chapatis roll dough to 1/16''); SPRINKLE one side with desired toppings and/or seeds; LIFT chapati gently with a metal spatula; SPRINKLE other side with toppings; GENTLY roll top surface with a rolling pin.
- PLACE a heavy iron skillet over high heat until steam rises from it: LOWER heat to medium; ADD the first chapati to the pan.
- TURN the chapati over with a spatula when it begins to brown and bubble slightly (press down any high bubbles with spatula if necessary).
- TURN chapati once again.
- REMOVE the cooked chapati from the pan; BASTE lightly with melted butter or ghee; KEEP warm in foil lined with a paper towel.
- REPEAT the same cooking process for the remaining chapatis.
- SERVE warm with your favorite Indian entree with CUCUMBER-MINT YOGURT SAUCE or Major Grey chutney and enjoy!