Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
These Chinese Dumplings are very popular during the Chinese New Year season. A simple dough and a cup of water go a long way when forming these little pillows of ground meat.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups cold water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground meat
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 green onion, finely minced
- 2 cups napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 4 tablespoons bamboo shoots, diced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- stir the salt in to the flour, then slowly add the cold water until a smooth ball is formed. Don’t add more water than is necessary so you might not need to use it all. knead the dough until smooth then cover and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- While the dough was resting, mix together the ground meat, soy sauce, salt, dry sherry and white pepper. Then add the remaining ingredients to the meat, mix well and set aside.
- When the dough is ready, I knead it until formed into a smooth ball and divided in to 40 pieces. flatten each piece into a circle about 4-5 inches in diameter. They don’t have to be perfect! If your dough is sticky, just dip your fingers in a cup of water to make handling the dough a bit easier. place a heaping teaspoon of the filling in the middle of each wrapper, wet the edges of the dumpling dough, fold over the edges and pinched to seal.
- To cook the dumplings, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add half of the dumplings and give them a gentle stir so they wont stick together. When the water returns to a boil, add 1/2 cup of cold water and cover the pot. When the water returned to a boil again, follow the same process one more time and then the dumplings are ready. drain and removed them from the hot water and follow the same process with the remaining dumplings.
- At this point, you can eat the dumplings plain, dip them in your favorite sauce, pan-fry, or place in a soup (recipe link attached). http://www.food.com/recipe/delicious-chinese-dumpling-soup-470838.