I only feed our dogs dry dog food and have always checked to make sure what I feed them is a top quality, balanced dog food. Our dogs do great on it. When I adopted my Grandmother's dog I had every intention of feeding her the same, but everyday she would hardly eat any of it (because my grandmother would feed her what she ate and never bought dog food). She lost a lot of weight, which at first was good, but when it didn't stop and she was becoming underweight I became concerned. At that point I bought some canned food and would mix a little bit with some water to coat her dry food. It worked, she began eating the proper amount of food. I began making gravy, just like the kind you can buy, for the conveince of how well it mixed with dry food and for how much less it costs than buying dog gravy. This homemade recipe is best for dogs because it utilizes a balanced, pre-made dog food. Be sure not to give your dogs anything with onions, garlic or salt in them, these can be toxic to dogs. Many homemade dog food recipes out there include onions, garlic or salty broths in them. Always check with your vet if you are concerned with anything in your dog's diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a sauce pan combine the can of dog food and 10 oz of water. Begin to heat the mixture.
- 2In a bowl combine the tablespoon of water and tablespoon of cornstarch until smooth and stir it into the dog food mixture.
- 3Bring the ingredients to a boil stirring constantly. Boil until thickened (about 1 minute) continuing to stir.
- 4Allow mixture to cool at room temperature for about 10 - 15 minutes. Once cooled pour into a blender and blend until there are no more chunks. If the mixture is too thick, add more water one tablespoon at a time. The mixture can then be stored in a hot sauce or ketchup bottle. Follow the storage and best used by date on the can of dog food used, most should be refrigerated.
- 5Use about 1 tablespoon of gravy for every 1/2 to whole cup of dry dog food.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Dog Food Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: