Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
After quite a big of searching on here, I failed to find a deep dish pie crust. Found this one on grouprecipes.com and decided to post it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water
- 9 1⁄2 inches deep dish pie plate
- In food processor, pulse flour, salt butter and vegetable shortening until in large crumbs.
- Add cold water; pulse until mixture starts to form a ball. (Do not overmix).
- Shape dough into round disc.
- Cover with plastic wrap.
- Freeze for 10 minutes until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into 11 inch circle on floured surface.
- Fit dough into 9 1/2 inch deep dish pie plate.
- Turn edge under and flute.
- Pour in filling and bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes.
If I could give this pie crust recipe more than 5 stars, I would. It is BY FAR the easiest crust I've ever turned out and probably the tastiest. The only thing I did differently was to substitute one teaspoon of almond extract for one teaspoon of the water. If you like shortbread, I would compare this crust to the consistency and 'shortness' of shortbread. Absolutely delicious and cooked perfectly within the time and temp parameters given.
I really have never had a decent pie crust, although I keep trying. This recipe worked like magic! My husband raved! It was so darn easy and I doubled the recipe so I could have a top crust. Enough left over for those little cinnamon pinwheels too! This is a new favorite for me.
Perfect fit. Thanks for sharing I will be using this recipe for now on. I had only a few tiny scraps left over.