Prep 3 mins
Cook 3 mins
I love the Dairy Queen Mint Blizzard....but they're both expensive and deadly. This gives the PERFECT texture...With light ice cream, flavoring of your choices, and skim milk, no less. It is important to use a good quality light ice cream, since it has to end up like soft serve -- I use Edy's Vanilla. Light ice cream actually works best -- more air content in those 'double churned' types means they get better 'Blizzard Consistency'.
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 -4 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 2 Oreo cookies, frozen and cut into quarters
- Place ice cream in blender, pack down.
- Mix extract and milk, pour into blender.
- Add Oreos, mash into ice cream.
- Run blender at lowest speed for 10-30 seconds, stop and scrape ice cream from sides into center.
- Repeat until texture is as desired, usually only 2 times.
- Suggested variations include: M & Ms rather than Oreos, orange juice and orange extract instead of milk and mint, 2 tbs peanut butter and no flavor extract, light coffee ice cream and no flavoring extract, or chocolate syrup and bananas.
- Serve in a chilled mug.