Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn (1/2 to 1)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (1/2 to 1)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom, whole,without pods
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- In a blender container, place all.
- Cover and grind for 1 to 2 minutes or till mixture is a fine powder.
- Store spice mixture in airtight container in cool dry place.
Here's a tip: When grinding your own spices the flavours are enhanced by briefly "toasting" them first. That is, heating them over the stove in a dry skillet until they begin to brown and their rich aroma begins to be released (but don't overdo it!). Makes grinding them easier too.
My car is broke down and I am out of curry powder to make my curried chicken recipe. I had all of these ingredients on hand but in the ground form already so decided to give it a shot anyway. I loved it! I will never buy curry powder again. Thanks Dancer.
We had this with potato wedges and it was very nice, I will make a curry with what we had left. I think it's nice to make your own as you know exactly what is in it. Thank you for posting. Made for Honor thy mother diabetic forum May 2011.