Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I got this recipe from "Too Many Chiles!" by Dave DeWitt, Nancy and Jeff Gerlach. As in any recipe calling for chile powder, you can substitute any type of dried ground chile.
- 5 tablespoons new mexico chile powder
- 3 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried ginger
- 2 tablespoons dried ground dried chile
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seed
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon allspice berry
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole nutmeg
- Dry toast all seeds, either together or separately.
- Using a spice mill, or a cofee grinder, grind all seeds together. Remove to a plate.
- Using the same mill or grinder, grind peppercorns, allspice berries, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger together.
- Add seeds and chile powders to peppercorn mixture. Process for about one to two minutes to let the flavors mix.