Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 360 hrs
I'm so happy to have found this recipe! I love the subtle black currant flavor of creme de cassis. Delicious in desserts, baked goods or drizzled over ice cream. Mix an ounce or 2 with your favorite carbonated beverage for a lite refreshing cocktail.
- 1 lb black currants, mashed
- 2 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 4 -5 cups sugar
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups vodka or 2 -2 1⁄2 cups brandy
- Combine the currants and red wine in a ceramic or glass bowl, and leave for at least 24 and up to 48 hours.
- Purée the mixture in a food processor or blender, and then strain it through a cheesecloth-lined sieve into a large saucepan.
- For every cup of liquid, add 1 cup of sugar.
- Heat gently, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Do not let the liquid come to a simmer, as you don't want to boil off the alcohol. Then leave at the lowest heat for an hour or more, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced a little and become slightly syrupy.
- Allow to cool.
- Mix together 1 part vodka or brandy with 3 parts of the cooled blackcurrant-wine syrup, and funnel into clean, dry bottles. Store in a cool place for at least 2 weeks before drinking.
- Use whenever a recipe/cocktail calls for creme de cassis.
I make this every year, and get rave reviews from everyone who scores a bottle from me! Intense currant flavour, delicious, hard to resist! My local farmer knows to call me when the currants are ripe!
Faced with a mountain of juicy plump blackcurrants in the garden I trawled the internet for recipes that would help me put them to good use. I was thrilled to find this recipe given that I drink kir all the time (white wine with creme de cassis). I made a quadruple batch to use up as many currants as possible - needed two bottles of red wine and 1.5 bottles of brandy but boy was it worth it! The end result is awesome and I now have enough cassis to last me years!!
I made this Cassis and let me tell you it's fantastic. I was a bit doubtful about the wine - thought it would overcome the wonderful black currant flavor but it didn't. Yummy.